Addicted2Reading
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for book lovers to come and share their love of reading with others. Book reviews, Reading Lists, and a lending library for Kindle users.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age - R. Dwayne Betts

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age - R. Dwayne Betts Empty
PostSubject: A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age - R. Dwayne Betts    A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age - R. Dwayne Betts EmptyFri Sep 07, 2018 10:05 am

Ratings: 5 stars

Summary:

One night and bad decision takes Mr. Betts into the justice system of Virginia and away from his family. At the tender age of 16 years, a young man chose to take up a gun and carjack a white man just because he could. In a moment all he knew, all his dreams and first times would be snatched away from him. Sentenced as an adult and shipped from prison to prison; Mr. Betts never gave into prison life, not like others. He made his time count and he took that one night and bad decision make him into the man he has become. Not once did he use the excuse “ I never had a father figure, I don’t know my father, and I never had a positive male role model.”

What I thought of the book:

This book hits home, it gives me a glimpse and understanding to what a family member lives through daily. Mr. Betts paints an image of a young man who made a mistake and choice to take back his life. He has painted an image of what it was like for a young man in prison, in that image he shows us what it is like for the older gentlemen in prison, and how our youth is getting more time than necessary for a bad choice. How our justice system looks at the color of a person’s skin, their living environment and then their crime when sentencing. I wish Mr. Betts the best and to thank him for allowing us inside the justice system especially the parts of that system we don’t see first-hand unless you are on the inside doing time.

Ending:

Mr. Betts has made it through what some of us would call “The right of passage for fatherless children.” He has made it through the doing time that didn’t fit the crime committed and not letting the system break him. Mr. Betts took all of his experiences in prison to paint a picture for us, he has given all those young men a voice, and he has proved that one bad choice does not define who you are.

Quotes:

“My life has been built into moments of hoping people will judge me by my character and not my past.”
Back to top Go down
https://addicted2reading.forumotion.com

A Question of Freedom: A Memoir of Learning, Survival, and Coming of Age - R. Dwayne Betts
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Addicted2Reading :: Biographies & Memoirs :: My Book Reviews-
Jump to: